With 2020 on the horizon, AAAFund is excited to celebrate its successes this past year and is more inspired than ever to hit the ground running in 2020 to build a collective, people-powered movement to win back the White House and U.S. Senate and continue to build progressive AANHPI representation in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Over the past year and decade, AAAFund has fought for progressive values, supported our progressive AANHPI candidates running for public office, celebrated successful electoral wins, and built a community of AANHPIs that are engaged in the political process and empowered to take action.
Here are some highlights! In just this past year, we:
- Endorsed 12 candidates including incumbents Representatives Andy Kim (NJ-03), TJ Cox (CA-21), Gil Cisneros (CA-39), Susie Lee (NV-03), Katie Porter (CA-45), Harley Rouda (CA-48), Haley Stevens (MI-11), congressional candidates Gina Ortiz Jones (TX-23) and Sri Kulkarni (TX-22), and 2 state and local candidates Virginia Delegate Kathy Tran and Philadelphia Councilmember Helen Gym. Read more here.
- Ran coordinated electoral programs for Virginia Delegate Kathy Tran and Philadelphia Councilmember Helen Gym, who both successfully won their re-elections!
- Celebrated our 20th anniversary and hosted a community gala, honoring Senator Mazie Hirono and House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer for their service to our community. Photos
- Hosted a post-2018 political campaign debrief, with over 80 attendees, discussing historic wins in our communities and strategizing ways to continue to mobilize our community in 2020. Photos
- Organized a career panel on Working on a Political Campaign: AAAFund Career Insights, with AAPI campaign leaders sharing their experiences on the campaign trails and the importance of building the AAPI public service pipeline. Photos
- Hosted numerous young professional community events, including Democratic debate watch parties, canvassing and phone banking events for our candidates, and supporting local AAPI restaurants with regular happy hours.
- Convened the AAPI Clearinghouse to coordinate national AAPI community outreach. Our special guests have included Linh Nguyen and Phil Kim from Senator Cory Booker’s campaign, Olympic Figure Skater Michelle Kwan from Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign, and Campaign Manager Roger Lau from Senator Elizabeth Warren’s Campaign. If you’re interested in joining the AAPI Clearinghouse, apply here!
- Hosted amazing interns working with us and building their political advocacy and organizing skills. Thank you Alex Nguyen and Ally Mark!
- And so much more.
Accomplishments Over the Past Decade!
And in this past decade, we have achieved record high AANHPI representation in Congress with over 20 elected representatives fighting for us and our communities. Our representation in the halls of public office has grown. And this has been only possible because more and more people, like you, are getting involved in the political process and taking action to help get candidates elected. We are harnessing our collective power to support candidates who have our community’s best interests at heart and mobilizing to get these candidates elected. Check out what our AANHPI community has collectively built over the past decade!
With 2020 on the horizon, we are ready to take bold action to support progressive AANHPI candidates running for public office. We are committed to endorsing more progressive candidates as elections ramp up and November draws closer. Through endorsing candidates, we will be able to donate financial resources to help support their campaign operations. In addition, we will run a coordinated electoral field program for our endorsed candidates and support their efforts and campaigns through engaging our members and supporters by hosting canvassing events, community virtual phone banks, and providing campaign updates and digital support and visibility through our newsletter and digital media. We will continue to build our progressive AANHPI political community by coordinating with other groups and building a collective movement through our AAPI Clearinghouse.
There is too much at stake in 2020. We must build a collective, people-powered movement to win back the White House, U.S. Senate, and elect more progressive representatives to the U.S. House of Representatives. And it takes all of us to take action and to continue to build our movement together. We look forward to continuing to make our progressive AANHPI community a force to be reckoned with and one that cannot be ignored.